A while ago, Ciaran Laval reported on a post made by Radegast and Replex developer Latif Khalifa at the SL Universe forums. According to Latif, Linden Lab CEO Ebbe Altberg stopped by last night’s TPV developer meeting and informed the participants and attendees that (I’m maintaining Latif’s grammar and syntax):
- Linden Lab is working on a next generation virtual world;
- Most of Lab’s development resources are already working on it;
- A smaller dev team headed by Oz Linden remains working on SL;
- The new worlds will be closed sourced, and not backward compatible with content from SL.
Of course, at this moment information is scant and I don’t want to jump to premature conclusions. I’m holding out until Inara Pey reports on the TPV developer meeting and until I’ve watched the meeting’s recording myself. Until then, I’m not going to comment further. Whatever comments I’ll have to make will be in an upcoming post. Also, do note that whatever you will read here will be my personal opinion and conjecture, and nothing more than that.
- Breaking Rumour – Linden Lab Working On Nextgen Virtual World? – by Ciaran Laval
Linden Lab working a next gen virtual world – SL Universe thread started by Latif Khalifa
- Coverage of Linden Lab’s next-generation virtual world on this blog