As I’ve already reported, Linden Lab CEO Ebbe Altberg (in-world name: Ebbe Linden) dropped by at the TPV developer meeting this Friday (June 20, 2014) and mentioned that the Lab is working on a new, next-generation virtual world.
Please note that TPV meetings are held in a combination of voice and real-time text chat. Besides the next-generation virtual world news, important developments for Second Life itself were discussed, and this prolonged the meeting greatly – two full hours.
Important updates were provided by Oz Linden, Jessica Lyon (of the Firestorm Team), Dolphin Linden and others. To listen to Ebbe Linden, skip to 0:51:19 (51’19”) in the video. For the latest reactions to the next-gen viewer news, skip to 1:39:00 (1hr 39′). You can watch the video after the break:
This recording is particularly worth watching, not only because of the news brought by Mr. Altberg, but also for the new developments and capabilities that will hit the main grid in the near future.
- Second Life: Third Party Viewer meeting (20 June 2014) + Ebbe Linden visit – video recording on YouTube by Chakat Northspring
- Linden Lab working on Second Life’s successor? (this blog)
- Linden Lab working a next gen virtual world – SL Universe thread started by Latif Khalifa
- Breaking Rumour – Linden Lab Working On Nextgen Virtual World? – by Ciaran Laval
- Ebbe confirms: “we’re working on a ‘next generation’ platform” (with audio) – by Inara Pey
- Rod Humble talks-up new products, creativity and Second Life – by Inara Pey
- Rod Humble confirms that LL is working on new 3D virtual worlds
- Lab: “We’re not giving up on Second Life” – by Inara Pey
- Coverage of Linden Lab’s next-generation virtual world on this blog